I promised you a finished product, didn’t I? Here it is!
I just love to find trash I can work collage wizardry with and here’s what yesterday’s “Cinderella Trash” became. Find your own trash and work magic.
- Choose a substrate. I use a heavy watercolor paper.
- Lay out your papers. I added some of my never-ending supply of ephemera to my treasures found on yesterday’s walk (see Blog post 11/3/2016). I don’t tear or cut into them until a pleasing design begins to emerge.
- I roughly use Crystal Neubauer’s explanation of designing by splitting the paper into thirds. Sometimes it feels right and sometimes I break every single rule. Here I sort of considered the ‘thirds’ with the lightest colored paper on the top third of the piece. The rest approximately 2/3 of the space.
- I glued everything down and then added my ‘marks’ to bring stuff forward to back, depending on what I wanted to showcase (the hand-written part of the letter in the center).
- Using charcoal to shadow and outline and then a good old finger to blur, some white and green acrylic paint to add some color and interest, India ink blobs, water soluble crayons.